Choosing a qualified cosmetic surgeon is an important decision, as it will affect not only the outcome of your surgery but also your safety. Here are a few steps you can take to help you select a qualified and experienced cosmetic surgeon:
- Check qualifications: Make sure the surgeon you are considering is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS). The ABPS is the only plastic surgery board recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties. Find a plastic surgeon.
- Look at before-and-after photos: A reputable surgeon should have a portfolio of before-and-after photos of patients they have treated. This can give you an idea of their skills and the types of results they typically achieve.
- Verify experience: Look for a surgeon who has specific experience in the procedure you are interested in. Ask about the number of procedures they have performed and how often they perform the procedure you are considering.
- Seek referrals: Ask for referrals from friends, family members, or your primary care physician, if you know someone who has had a similar procedure done.
- Schedule a consultation: Schedule a consultation with the surgeon you are considering. This is an opportunity for you to ask questions and get to know the surgeon. Be comfortable with the surgeon, trust your gut feeling and make sure you have realistic expectations.
- Look for credentials and awards: Look for credentials, awards, and recognition that the surgeon has received. These can be indications of the surgeon’s level of skill and experience.
- Check reviews: check the reviews and ratings of the surgeon on different sites, like Google, Healthgrades, and Realself. This can give you an idea of the surgeon’s reputation and the experiences of other patients.
It’s also important to note that cheaper prices or special offers could indicate that the surgeon or clinic may be cutting corners, so be wary of excessively low prices.Learn about how much many cosmetic surgeries cost around the country.