When a plastic surgeon performs a surgical procedure for enhancing the appearance of a specific part of the body, the process is known as cosmetic surgery. A benefit of cosmetic surgery is that it not only improves the appearance physically, but it can have a psychological and emotional effects. For example, face lift and breast enlargement cosmetic procedures have an impact on the confidence level and self-esteem of an individual. Here is an overview of cosmetic surgery procedures.
Types of Cosmetic Surgeries
Table of Contents
Are you looking for a life changing experience by improving your look? Then, consider cosmetic surgery by an experienced professional cosmetic surgeon. The following is a list of some of the most common cosmetic procedures.
The surgery to lift your eyelids is known as blepharoplasty. During this surgery, eye bags are removed that are present under the eyes. This eyelid surgery gives the eyes a fresh and youthful look. There are many reasons that lead to eye bags, such as genetic issues, ageing, or atmospheric factors including sun exposure. The eye bags are reduced by removing excess skin from below and above the eyelid. (1)
Some women prefer larger breasts, if you are also amongst them, then you can opt for breast augmentation. This procedure is also known as ‘breast implants’. During this process, the surgeon places silicone gel implants beneath or above the main chest muscles, which helps in improving the esthetics of the breast.
Nose Reshaping “Nose Job”
One of the most popular cosmetic surgeries amongst men is nose reshaping or nose job rhinoplasty. During this surgery, large bumps of nose are removed. The goal is to make the nose look straighter and more symmetrical.
People prefer to have this surgery for various reasons, such as a medical issue or an accident that has left the nose look imperfect. A simple nose job can give a boost to confidence. (2)
During this process, hollow metal tubes or thin cannulas are used to vacuum excess fat from different parts of the body, such as neck, arms, hips, buttocks, thigh and the abdomen. Usually, laser and mechanical devices are used for suction of fat.
Facelift is a well-known procedure in which excess skin is removed from the neck and cheeks, which gives a fresher and younger look to the patient, as well as tighten the skin.
Another popular cosmetic surgery is known as tummy tuck in which fat is removed from around the waist for health or cosmetic reasons. (3) Sometimes, it becomes difficult to burn stubborn fat even with dieting and exercise, here you can take help from this surgery.
Tips to Follow For Cosmetic Surgery
Before you go for a cosmetic surgery procedure, it is essential to weigh its risks and benefits. Following are some useful tips that you should follow.
- Always go for a professional and experienced surgeon. You should check her credentials. (4)
- As soon as you consult with your surgeon, now it is time to make your own decision and know your preferences. Always ask questions related to surgery from the surgeon to clear all confusions.
- Inquire about the limitations and risks of the surgery.
- Select the right date for your surgery. For example, avoid going for surgery when you are going through a stressful event, like moving, having a baby, bereavement and switching jobs.
- Cosmetic surgery is for personal satisfaction. Never go for cosmetic surgery to impress or please anyone else.
- Find cosmetic options near you. Avoid travelling for cosmetic surgery. In case, you need to travel, then ensure the arrangements are reliable.
Cosmetic Surgery Risks
Even a minor surgery has risks associated with it. Thus, cosmetic surgery also has risks that you should be aware of.
- These are general risks that apply to all kinds of surgeries, such as scarring, bleeding, infections and blood clots. Besides this, anesthesia can also be risky. Even though, this is a very rare risk due to continuous advances in medical technology, however, complications happen in a few cases.
- Every patient is different from another, thus the body also reacts differently. Scarring may occur, even after every effort has been made to avoid it. Usually, this issue happens with ethnic minorities with darker complexion, as their skins are prone to keloid scars.
- Cosmetic surgery risks increase for people who are already suffering from different health issues. For example, in case, you are overweight or have a history of heart disease, then you are at a higher risk of anesthetic complications. These may include abnormal heart rhythm and stroke due to an increase in blood pressure.
Recovery From Cosmetic Surgery
- When it comes to recovery from cosmetic surgery, everyone is different. The surgeon will recommend you to take proper rest after the surgery. If there are stitches then you will have to visit the hospital again after some days for its removal if they are not the type that dissolves after some days.
- After the procedure, you may experience some bruising and soreness, however medications are provided for controlling the pain.
- You will not be allowed to carry out your daily activities for a few days.
- Depending on the type of cosmetic surgery you had, you may be asked to wear loose fitting dresses to avoid your clothes getting rubbed against the surgical wound.
- If you are into sports, then you may have to wait for a few weeks before resuming such activities.
- Generally, cosmetic surgery is successful, however, if you suffer from symptoms, such as infection, rapid heartbeat, shortness of breath, intense pain or heavy bleeding, then contact your surgeon as soon as possible.
In the past, cosmetic surgeries were only popular among the affluent, but with time, it is becoming common with the general public as well. Cosmetic surgery may be an ideal solution for individuals who choose to enhance their appearance.