American Cosmetic Association (ACA) has been recognized by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for its new CDC-guided National Diabetes Prevention Program. This recognition signifies ACA’s commitment to helping to prevent diabetes – while launching its new campaign, “Healthy Beauty Inside & Out.”
YOU CAN PREVENT TYPE 2 DIABETES WITH THE DIABETES PREVENTION PROGRAM
The CDC-led National Diabetes Prevention Program helps people with prediabetes make lasting lifestyle changes to prevent or delay type 2 diabetes.
The Online Diabetes Prevention Program
A new online program aimed at preventing diabetes, high cholesterol, obesity and heart disease and the complications of these disorders.
• Proven curriculum and program approved by the CDC
• Work with a Health and Wellness Coach
Resources to track activity, activity tracker, quit smoking
• 12-Month program
• Work on your own schedule at your convenience each day/week
The program is a 12 month program that uses a research-based CDC approved curriculum that has been proven to be an effective lifestyle change program to help delay or prevent type 2 diabetes.
A trained lifestyle coach leads the program. You will work closely with this coach to learn skills needed to make lasting changes with no cost to you. You will learn how to healthily lose weight, increase physical activity and manage stress.
Groups meet for a year — 3 times a month on the same day and time in month 1-6, then once a month for the second 6 months to maintain healthy lifestyle changes. During each session, your lifestyle coach will teach a lesson and lead a group discussion. For example, you will learn how to:
- Eat healthier
- Add physical activity to your life
- Manage stress
- Stay on track when eating out
- Understand your responses to food
- Stay motivated
- Solve problems that can get in the way of healthy changes
The following criteria must be met for participation:
- 18 years of age or older
- BMI 25 kg/m2 or over (23 kg/m2 or over if Asian American)
- No previous diagnosis of Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes
- Previous gestational diabetes (not currently pregnant)
In addition, you must also have one or more of the following:
- HbA1C: 5.7%–6.4%
- Fasting plasma glucose: 100-125
- 2-hour plasma glucose (after a 75gm glucose load): 140–199mg/dL
- Previous diagnosis of gestational diabetes (may be self-reported)
All archived self-directed content without a coach is available at no cost.
Full Program with a Board Certified Health and Wellness Coach – ACA is working with a board-certified health and wellness coach to help members reduce their risk of diabetes through a 12-month, CDC-approved diabetes prevention program. Take this Prediabetes Risk Test to find out if you could be prediabetic. Members who enroll in the program can receive $25 off their enrollment fee by using the promo code ACA at checkout. For more information, contact Kate Bailey, NBC-HWC, or visit A Healthy Future Diabetes Prevention Group.
ACA will be utilizing the DPP program content: https://nationaldppcsc.cdc.gov/s/profile/0053d000003KdHaAAK
Contact ACA if you are interested in signing up for the full Diabetes Prevention Program.